LEEME Archivos

Educacion Musical

LEEME@LISTSERV.REDIRIS.ES

Esconda cabeceras de correo

Autor: [<< Primero] [< Prev] [Siguiente >] [Último >>]

Print Responder
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:34:50 +0200
Sender:
Educacion Musical <[log in para visualizar]>
Received-SPF:
pass (relay.rediris.es: domain of [log in para visualizar] designates 213.4.149.241 as permitted sender)
Sí, justo a algo así me refería. Si se pudiera organizar un grupo de
trabajo, que reuniera representatividad del sector, y elaborara algo
por el estilo y le diera forma aplicable al marco español, que los
colegas consideraran correcto, que todo el mundo apoyara, ¡se podría
llegar muy lejos (creo yo)!

Digamos que, ya que los políticos no lo hacen, hay que avanzarles
terreno para que luego lo cojan ya hecho... ¿no? Así, en lugar de
llevarles quejas, se les llevan también propuestas de solución.

Con todo, para mí el punto principal es que habría que teorizar sobre
qué puede aportar la educación musical que no aporten otras materias
educativas. Porque cosas tan amplias como que los estudiantes dotados
para el ritmo (!!!) parecen ser también más capaces de conseguir otras
habilidades académicas y se organizan mejor en su vida diaria quizás
fuera demasiado vago para los tiempos de concreciones que corren.

Ojalá se pudiera trabajar bien sobre este tipo de cosas. Una lista
electrónica podría ser un buen punto de partida.

Carmen Rodríguez Suso
Bilbao

'varios argumentarios' todos ellos extraidos de:

>http://www.childrensmusicworkshop.com/
>
>Pero, ¿la representación? Para la sociedad música es Operación
Triunfo o la SGAE y sus directivos, acaso no recordáis la reunión que
tubo en la anterior legislatura el Presidente del Gobierno con los
representantes de la música en España en el Palacio de la Moncloa:

>http://www.los40.
com/articulo/noticias/Zapatero/compromete/musicos/promover/ley/pirateria/l40actn01/20040621l40l40not_16/Tes/

>Javier González Martín.
>
>Almería.
>

>Music Advocacy’s Top Ten Quotes
>1. “During the Gulf War, the few opportunities I had for relaxation I
always listened to music, and it brought me great peace of mind. I have
shared my love of music with people throughout this world, while
listening to the drums and special instruments of the Far East, Middle
East, Africa, the Caribbean, and the Far North, and all of this started
with the music appreciation course that I was taught in a third-grade
elementary class in Princeton, New Jersey. What a tragedy it would be
if we lived in a world where music was not taught to children.”-
General H. Norman Schwarzkopf — United States Army
>2. “Music is exciting. It is thrilling to be sitting in a group of
musicians playing (more or less) the same piece of music. You are part
of a great, powerful, vibrant entity. And nothing beats the feeling you
get when you've practiced a difficult section over and over and finally
get it right. (yes, even on the wood block.) Music is important. It
says things you heart can't say any other way, and in a language
everyone speaks. Music crosses borders, turns smiles into frowns, and
vice versa. These observations are shared with a hope: that, when
schools cut back on music classes, they really think about what they're
doing - and don't take music for granted.”- Dan Rather — CBS News
>3. “In every successful business…there is one budget line that never
gets cut. It’s called ‘Product Development’ – and it’s the key to any
company’s future growth. Music education is critical to the product
development of this nation’s most important resource – our children.”-
John Sykes — President, VH1
>4. “The things I learned from my experience in music in school are
discipline, perseverance, dependability, composure, courage and pride
in results. . . Not a bad preparation for the workforce!”- Gregory
Anrig – President, Educational Testing Service
>5. “Music is an essential part of everything we do. Like puppetry,
music has an abstract quality which speaks to a worldwide audience in a
wonderful way that nourishes the soul.”- Jim Henson – television
producer and puppeteer
>6. “Should we not be putting all our emphasis on reading, writing and
math? The ‘back-tobasics curricula,’ while it has merit, ignores the
most urgent void in our present system – absence of self-discipline.
The arts, inspiring – indeed requiring – self-discipline, may be more
‘basic’ to our nation survival than traditional credit courses.
Presently, we are spending 29 times more on science than on the arts,
and the result so far is worldwide intellectual embarrassment.”- Paul
Harvey – syndicated radio show host
>7. “It's [music education] terribly important, extremely important --
because when you are a child, you are in a receptive age ... In high
schools, public schools -- that's where they must have the best
influence, the first influence, which will go through their whole life.”
- Eugene Ormandy – conductor of The Philadelphia Orchestra
>8. “It is our job, as parents, educators, and friends, to see that
our young people have the opportunity to attain the thorough education
that will prepare them for the future. Much of that education takes
place in the classroom. We must encourage our youngsters in such
pursuits as music education. In addition to learning the valuable
lesson that it takes hard work to achieve success, no matter what the
arena, music education can provide students with a strong sense of
determination, improved communication skills, and a host of other
qualities essential for successful living.”- Edward H. Rensi –
President and Chief Operation Officer, U.S.A. McDonald's Corporation
>9. “A grounding in the arts will help our children to see; to bring a
uniquely human perspective to science and technology. In short, it will
help them as they grow smarter to also grow wiser.”- Robert E. Allen –
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, AT&T Corporation
>10. “Some people think music education is a privilege, but I think it’
s essential to being human.”- Jewel – singer, songwriter, and
instrumentalist

>Music Advocacy’s Top Ten for Parents
>1. In a 2000 survey, 73 percent of respondents agree that teens who
play an instrument are less likely to have discipline problems.-
Americans Love Making Music – And Value Music Education More Highly
Than Ever, American Music Conference, 2000.
>2. Students who can perform complex rhythms can also make faster and
more precise corrections in many academic and physical situations,
according to the Center for Timing, Coordination, and Motor Skills-
Rhythm seen as key to music’s evolutionary role in human intellectual
development, Center for Timing, Coordination, and Motor Skills, 2000.
>3. A ten-year study indicates that students who study music achieve
higher test scores, regardless of socioeconomic background.- Dr. James
Catterall, UCLA.
>4. A 1997 study of elementary students in an arts-based program
concluded that students’ math test scores rose as their time in arts
education classes increased.- “Arts Exposure and Class Performance,”
Phi Delta Kappan, October, 1998.
>5. First-grade students who had daily music instruction scored higher
on creativity tests than a control group without music instruction.- K.
L. Wolff, The Effects of General Music Education on the Academeic
Achievement, Perceptual-Motor Development, Creative Thinking, and
School Attendance of First-Grade Children, 1992.

>6. In a Scottish study, one group of elementary students received
musical training, while another other group received an equal amount of
discussion skills training. After six (6) months, the students in the
music group achieved a significant increase in reading test scores,
while the reading test scores of the discussion skills group did not
change.- Sheila Douglas and Peter Willatts, Journal of Research in
Reading, 1994.
>7. According to a 1991 study, students in schools with arts-focused
curriculums reported significantly more positive perceptions about
their academic abilities than students in a comparison group.- Pamela
Aschbacher and Joan Herman, The Humanitas Program Evaluation, 1991.
>8. Students who are rhythmically skilled also tend to better plan,
sequence, and coordinate actions in their daily lives.- “Cassily
Column,” TCAMS Professional Resource Center, 2000.
>9. In a 1999 Columbia University study, students in the arts are
found to be more cooperative with teachers and peers, more self-
confident, and better able to express their ideas. These benefits exist
across socioeconomic levels.- The Arts Education Partnership, 1999.
>10. College admissions officers continue to cite participation in
music as an important factor in making admissions decisions. They claim
that music participation demonstrates time management, creativity,
expression, and open-mindedness.- Carl Hartman, “Arts May Improve
Students’ Grades,” The Associated Press, October, 1999.

>Music Advocacy’s Top Ten for Directors
>1. In a 1995 study in Hamilton, Ohio, string students who
participated in pullout lessonsaveraged higher scores than the non-
pullout students in all areas of the Ohio Proficiency Test.Sixty-eight
(68) percent of the string students achieved satisfactory ratings on
all sections of thetest, compared to fifty-eight (58) percent of the
non-pullout students.- Michael D. Wallick, “A Comparison Study of the
Ohio Proficiency Test Results Between Fourth-Grade String Pullout
Students and Those of Matched Ability,” Journal of Research in Music
Education, 1998.
>2. According to a 2000 survey, eighty-one (81) percent of people
responding believe thatparticipating in school music corresponds with
better grades and test scores. This is anincrease of fourteen (14)
percent over the 1997 results for the same question.- Attitudes, NAMM
(International Music Products Association), 2000.
>3. More music teachers are role models for minority students than
teachers of any othersubject. Thirty-six (36) percent of surveyed
minority students identified music teachers as theirrole models,
compared to twenty-eight (28) percent for English teachers, eleven (11)
percentfor elementary teachers, and seven (7) percent for physical
education teachers.- “Music teachers as role models for African-
American students,” Journal of Research in Music Education,1993.
>4. Only thirty-one (31) percent of teenagers and adults in a 2000
survey who do not play aninstrument feel they are too old to start
learning.- Americans Love Making Music – And Value Music Education More
Highly Than Ever, American MusicConference, 2000.
>5. Researchers at the University of California and the Niigata Brain
Research Institute in Japanhave found an area of the brain that is
activated only when reading musical scores.- “Musical Brain – Special
Brain Area Found for Reading Music Scores,” NeuroReport, 1998.
>6. In the 1998 federal study Gaining the Arts Advantage, music
teachers in many of thestrongest arts programs nationwide are
encouraged by their schools to perform in theircommunities and to
improve their own performing skills.- Gaining the Arts Advantage, The
President’s Council on the Arts and Humanities, 1998.
>7. Ninety-two (92) percent of people who play an instrument say they
were glad they learnedto do so, according to a 2000 Gallup Poll.-
Gallup Poll Shows Strong Support for Putting Music in Every School’s
Curriculum, Giles Communications,2000.
>8. In academic situations, students in music programs are less likely
to draw unfoundedconclusions.- Champions of Change, Federal study,
1999.
>9. The scores of elementary instrumental music students on
standardized math tests increasedwith each year they participated in
the instrumental program.- “Music Training Helps Underachievers,”
Nature, May 26, 1996.
>10. Nine out of ten adults and teenagers who play instruments agree
that music making bringsthe family closer together.- Music Making and
Our Schools, American Music Conference, 2000.

>Music Advocacy’s Top Ten for Administrators
>1. Surveys show that a majority of parents believes the arts are as
important as reading, writing, math, science, history, or geography.
Most parents want their children to have more experience with the arts
than they had when they were young.- Louis Harris, Americans and the
Arts VI, 1992.
>2. Students in two Rhode Island elementary schools who were given an
enriched, sequential, skill-building music program showed marked
improvement in reading and math skills. Students in the music program
who had started out behind the control group achieved statistical
equality in reading and pulled ahead in math.Gardiner, Fox, Jeffrey,
and Knowles, Nature, May 23, 1996.
>3. Over nine in ten adults (93%) surveyed agree that music is part of
a well-rounded education.- Americans’ Attitudes Toward Music, The
Gallup Organization, 1997.
>4. The Kettle Moraine school district in Wales, Wisconsin is
requiring piano lessons for all K-5 pupils after seeing encouraging
results from a district pilot program. District officials based their
pilot program on research findings that show music training -
specifically piano instruction - is far superior to computer
instruction in enhancing children’s abstract reasoning skills.- Karen
Abercrombie, Education Week, October 14, 1998.
>5. The arts are recognized as a core subject in the Goals 2000:
Educate America Act approved by both houses of Congress in 1994.-
National Education Goals Panel.
>6. A two-year Swiss study involving 1,200 children in 50 schools
showed that students involved in the music program were better at
languages, learned to read more easily, showed an improved social
climate, demonstrated more enjoyment in school, and had a lower stress
level than non-music students.- E.W. Weber, M. Spychiger, and J.L.
Patry, 1993.
>7. Research shows when the arts are included in a student’s
curriculum, reading, writing, and math scores improve.- J. Buchen
Milley, A. Oderlund, and J. Mortarotti, “The Arts: An Essential
Ingredient in Education,” The California Council of the Fine Arts
Deans.
>8. The College Board identifies the arts as one of the six basic
academic subject areas students should study in order to succeed in
college.- Academic Preparation for College: What Students Should Know
and Be Able to Do, The College Board.
>9. When researchers analyzed the NELS:88 database of the U.S.
Department of Education, which tracked 25,000 students over a ten-year
period, they discovered that students who were involved in music scored
higher on standardized tests and reading tests than students not taking
music courses. This finding was consistent for students of all
socioeconomic backgrounds.- Dr. James Catterall, UCLA, 1997.
>10. School districts with strong arts education programs report that
superintendents and school principals who collectively support and
regularly articulate a vision for arts education are critically
important to the successful implementation and stability of district
arts education policies.Gaining the Arts Advantage, The President’s
Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, 1999.

>Music Advocacy’s Top Ten for Everyone
>1. The Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania School District analyzed its 1997
dropout rate in terms of students’ musical experience. Students with no
ensemble performance experience had a dropout rate of 7.4 percent.
Students with one to two years of ensemble experience had a dropout
rate of 1 percent, and those with three or more years of performance
experience had a dropout rate of 0.0 percent.Eleanor Chute, “Music and
Art Lessons Do More Than Complement Three R’s,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,
April 13, 1998.
>2. Two research projects have found that music training -
specifically piano instruction - can dramatically enhance children’s
spatial-temporal reasoning skills, the skills crucial for greater
success in subjects like math and science.Shaw, Grazianow, and
Peterson, Neurological Research, March 1999.
>3. School leaders affirm that the single most critical factor in
sustaining arts education in their schools is the active involvement of
influential segments of the community. These community members help
shape and implement the policies and programs of the district.- Gaining
the Arts Advantage, The President’s Council on the Arts and Humanities,
1999.
>4. Students with band and orchestra experience attend college at a
rate twice the national average.- Bands Across the USA.
>5. Music students out-perform non-music on achievement tests in
reading and math. Skills such as reading, anticipating, memory,
listening, forecasting, recall, and concentration are developed in
musical performance, and these skills are valuable to students in math,
reading, and science.- B. Friedman, “An Evaluation of the Achievement
in Reading and Arithmetic of Pupils in ElementarySchool Instrumental
Music Classes,” Dissertation Abstracts International.
>6. One in three of today’s school-aged children will hold an arts-
related job at some time in his or her career.- Education Commission on
the States.
>7. The College Board, in a publication about college admissions,
states, “preparation in the arts will be valuable to college entrants
whatever their intended field of study.”- Academic Preparation for
College: What Students Need To Know and Be Able To Do, The
CollegeBoard.
>8. Music therapists working with Alzheimer’s patients have found that
rhythmic interaction or listening to music resulted in decreased
agitation, increased focus and concentration, enhanced ability to
respond verbally and behaviorally, elimination of demented speech,
improved ability to respond to questions, and better social interaction.
- Carol Prickett and Randall Moore, “The Use of Music to Aid Memory of
Alzheimer’s Patients,” Journalof Music Therapy, 1991.
>9. Medical researchers have reported that subjects lowered bother
their systolic and diastolic blood pressure as much as five points
(mm/Hg) and reduced heart rates by four to five beats per minute
following music listening sessions. People with high blood pressure can
help keep their blood pressure down by listening to tapes of relaxing
low frequency music in the morning and evening.- Tony Wigram, “The
Psychological and Physiological Effects of Low Frequency Sound and
Music,” MusicTherapy Perspectives, 1995.
>10. A 1997 Gallup Survey on Americans’ attitudes toward music
revealed that 89% of respondents believe music helps a child’s overall
development, and 93% believe that music is part of a well-rounded
education.- Americans’ Attitudes Toward Music, The Gallup Organization,
1997.
>> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:23:13 +0200> From: [log in para visualizar]>
Subject: Re: [LEEME] ¿qué va a pasar con la mú sica e n Primaria y en
Secundaria?> To: [log in para visualizar]> > Estimados amigos:> >
Siento responder con retraso.> > Sólo una nota: efectivamente, Jesús,
sí que dije que habría que justificar > la inclusión de la música en el
curriculo.> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jesus Tejada"
<[log in para visualizar]>> To: <[log in para visualizar]>> Sent: Thursday,
April 10, 2008 10:09 PM> Subject: Re: [LEEME] ¿qué va a pasar con la mú
sica e n Primaria y en > Secundaria?> > > >No creo que sea necesario,
tal como me pareció entender a Carmen R. Suso, > >que haya que
justificar la inclusión de la música en el curriculo. Hasta > >hace
unos años, se ha hecho tendiendo a las más diversas, y a veces >
>inconsistentes por desinformadas, argumentaciones. Creo que ya se ha >
>convertido en una conquista, pero hay que luchar para que no se vacíe
de > >contenido. Para los que estéis interesado en esto, os recomiendo
el texto > >de Constantin Koopman (1997) /Keynotes in music education:
a philosophical > >analysis./ Tesis Doctoral. Nijmegen (Holanda):
Katholieke Universiteit > >Nijmegen.> > Es una conquista, pero, como
nos indican algunas intervenciones y vemos en > la práctica, no es una
conquista "definitiva". Según las necesidades de cada > momento
político se pueden recortar o modificar las horas de música en la >
enseñanza general. Por eso, creo que sí que convendría tener un >
"argumentario" bien establecido, para utilizarlo cuando haya que pelear
por > mantener o incluso mejorar esa presencia. El problema es
fundamentalmente > político. Nosotros podemos estar convencidos de lo
importante que es la > formación musical en primaria y secundaria, pero
hay que convencer a la > sociedad y a los políticos que tienen el poder
de decisión final.> > Para esto probablemente haría falta algo más,
además de un buen y bien > estudiado "argumentario": una voz
representativa. No soy muy optimista. Algo > hay en la música, o quizás
en los músicos, que impide que sepan asociarse > bien. No sé qué es,
aunque a veces tengo alguna intuición, pero lo cierto es > que otras
profesiones se han organizado bien, han pasado a la acción, y han >
defendido bien sus intereses. Estaría bien que desde el mundo de la >
educación musical se pudiera hacer algo parecido: trabajar juntos,
elaborar > buenas propuestas, y plantearlas correctamente en donde se
decide sobre > ellas.> > Saludos cordiales,> > Carmen Rodríguez Suso>
Bilbao> > ----------------------------------------------------> Los
artículos de LEEME son distribuidos gracias al apoyo y colaboración >
técnica de RedIRIS - Red Académica española - (http://www.rediris.es)>
>Tecnología, moda, motor, viajes,…suscríbete a nuestros boletines para
estar siempre a la última
>http://newsletters.msn.com/hm/maintenanceeses.asp?
L=ES&C=ES&P=WCMaintenance&Brand=WL&RU=http%3a%2f%2fmail.live.com
>Normas para el correcto uso del correo electrónico:
>		http://www.rediris.es/mail/estilo.html

Normas para el correcto uso del correo electrnico:
		http://www.rediris.es/mail/estilo.html