Call for papers – Epidemics in a Globalised World for international workshop on 22-24 March 2017 in Antwerp (Belgium)
deadline for submission: 15 November 2016
more info: www.ucsia.org
On 22-24 March 2017 UCSIA organizes an international academic workshop on Epidemics in a Globalised World at the University of Antwerp, Belgium.
The workshop addresses the topic of combatting epidemics as a case in point to engage in the wider debate of health security versus right to basic health within a global context.
The reflection is further developed in the ensuing two day workshop where senior and junior scholars from various disciplines such as medicine and epidemiology, communication and media, law and governance, ecology and economy, migration research, …. will discuss, on the basis of their research, the critical factors for a future global strategy and the implications for further academic investigation.
Confirmed guest lecturers:
· Roy Anderson, Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London
& Director, Centre for Neglected Tropical Disease Research (UK)
· Manuel Carballo, Executive Director, International Centre for Migration Health and Development
· Heidi Larson, anthropologist, London School of Health and Tropical Medicine (UK)
· Barbara Kerstiëns, Health Directorate of the Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, European Commission
· Rebecca Martin, Director, Center for Global Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (USA)
· Simon Rushton, Dept. of Politics, University of Sheffield (UK)
The workshop consists of a two-day international meeting with specialized lectures and presentations and debates by invited senior and junior scholars. The aim is to offer a platform to scholars to present their research on the topic and exchange their ideas on research findings. Such a meeting may open up new multidisciplinary horizons to think about the topic. Presentations can summarize empirical research outcomes, but also conceptual or methodological contributions from various disciplines are welcomed for submission.
Researchers, doctoral students and other experts are welcome to submit their application until 15 November 2016. Full details on www.ucsia.org.
· Philippe Beutels, Director, Centre for Health Economics Research & Modeling Infectious Diseases (CHERMID), University of Antwerp
· Marleen Boelaert, Head Unit Epidemiology and Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases, Institute for Tropical Medicine, Antwerp
· Gorik Ooms, Fellow, Institute of Public Health, Heidelberg University & Executive Director Protection International
· Christiane Timmerman, Director, Centre for Migration and Intercultural Studies (CeMIS), University of Antwerp
· Pierre Van Damme, Director, Centre for the Evaluation of Vaccination Vaccine & Infectious Disease Institute (VAXINFECTIO), University Antwerp
· Jean-Pierre Van geertruyden, Director, Epidemiology for Global Health Institute, University of Antwerp
· Edwin Wouters, Associate Professor, Centre for Longitudinal & Life Course Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Antwerp
· Luc Braeckmans, Professor of Philosophy, University of Antwerp and Director of Academic Affairs, UCSIA
· Barbara Segaert, Scientific Coordinator, UCSIA
Contact: Barbara Segaert, Project Coordinator, [log in para visualizar], T +32 (0) 3 265 45 94
More information: www.ucsia.org