Autor: [<< Primero] [< Prev] [Siguiente >] [Último >>]

Mario Castro <[log in para visualizar]>
Reply To:
Foro sobre Fisica Estadistica <[log in para visualizar]>
Fecha:
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:37:55 +0200
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Juan M Lopez <[log in para visualizar]> wrote:

> Pues you no veo la noticia ...

Virginia Announces Physics 'Flexbook' Solicitation
Request for Collaboration calls for assistance in development of open
source physics "Flexbook"

*RICHMOND*  Secretary of Technology Aneesh Chopra and Secretary of
Education Tom Morris today announced the release of a Request for
Collaboration (RFC) to career and technical centers, school divisions, and
institutions of higher education calling for assistance in the development
and publication of an open source physics "Flexbook" for Virginia.

The *Virginia Physics "Flexbook"* project is a collaborative effort of the
Secretaries of Education and Technology and the Department of Education that
seeks to elevate the quality of physics instruction across the Commonwealth.
Participating educators will create and compile supplemental materials
relating to 21st century physics in an opensource format that can be used
to strengthen existing physics content. The Commonwealth is partnering with
CK12 (www.ck12.org) on this initiative as they will provide the free,
opensource technology platform to facilitate the publication of the newly
developed content as a "Flexbook"  defined simply as an adaptive, webbased
set of instructional materials.

"Better preparing students for postsecondary education and the workforce is
one of Governor Kaine's goals with particular emphasis on STEM education,"
Secretary Morris said. "This publicprivate partnership will demonstrate the
potential of webbased collaboration to create modernday physics content
that will be available at no cost," added Secretary Chopra.

"We need to move instructional materials from the 19th century into the 21st
century. The CK12 approach can reduce the cost of instructional materials
while making them more customizable for each locality and each student,"
said Neeru Khosla, Founder of CK12. "This pioneering effort by Virginia will
help students in Virginia and elsewhere get better prepared for tomorrow's
world. We are very excited about this partnership."

"As Chairman of the JCOTS Open Education subcommittee, I applaud the efforts
of the Kaine Administration in the creation of this physics 'Flexbook',"
said Senator John Watkins. "This aligns with our subcommittee's efforts to
bring our educational content into the 21st century and I am hopeful that
this will be replicated across other disciplines."

The Virginia Physics "Flexbook" project is seeking statements of
participation from school divisions and others that have teachers willing to
contribute physics content to the open source platform and participate in
the pilot. Please visit www.technology.virginia.gov for application
instructions or contact Tristen Pegram at
[log in para visualizar]

*About CK12*

CK12 Foundation is a nonprofit organization with a mission to create a
collaborative online authoring environment enabling the production of free
and open educational content that can be customized for each student while
being aligned with curriculum guidelines. In addition, CK12 also aims to
empower teacher practitioners by generating or adapting content relevant to
their local context. This enabler will allow the production of adaptive
textbooks termed the "FlexBook". CK12 intends to pioneer the generation and
distribution of high quality, locally and temporally relevant, educational
web texts. The content generated by CK12 and the CK12 community will serve
both as source material for a student's learning and provide an adaptive
environment. The compiled or authored material will be available under the
Creative Commons by Attribution ShareAlike license.