We are pleased to announce the IX Summer School on Statistical Physics
of Complex Systems promoted by the Topical Group on Statistical and
Nonlinear Physics (GEFENOL) of the Spanish Physical Society.
The school, oriented to Master, PhD students, and young postdocs
worldwide will take place at Instituto de Física de Cantabria (IFCA) in
Santander, Spain, on September 2-13, 2019 and will include six courses:
* Statistical Mechanics of Topological Defects, by Carmen Miguel,
Universitat de Barcelona.
* Critical transport dynamics in fusion plasmas, by Raúl Sánchez,
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
* Tipping points in dynamical systems and applications, by Ulrike
Feudel, Universität Oldenburg.
* Simulating percolation and granular media, by Hans J. Herrmann, ESPCI
* Complex Networks: Structure, Dynamics and their interrelation, by
Ernesto Estrada, University of Zaragoza.
* Synchronization in populations of oscillators, by Ernest Montrió,
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona.
Additional keynote talks, hands-on sessions, and presentations by the
will also be scheduled.
Further details are posted at the web site of the school
With our best regards,
P. Colet, A. Corral, J. Gómez-Gardenes, J.M. López, D. Maza and R. Toral
Dr. Juan M. Lopez,
Instituto de Fisica de Cantabria, CSIC-UC,
Avda. Los Castros, Santander 39005, Spain.
Phone: +34 942202085/Fax: +34 942200935
" Q: What is the difference between theoretical physics and mathematical
physics? A: Theoretical physics is done by physicists who lack the
necessary skills to do real experiments; mathematical physics is done
by mathematicians who lack the necessary skills to do real mathematics.
- N.D. Mermin (Theoretical Physicist)"