THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 AMONGST CANCER PATIENTS AND SURVIVORS
Virtual Seminar September 16th 2021 11.00am -1.00pm
Registration now open: https://conference.ucc.ie/seacovid19/impactofcovid19cancer/Site/Register
Jointly hosted by Dr Aileen Murphy & Dr Ann Kirby (Health Economists from Dept. of Economics, CUBs, UCC) and Dr Frances Drummond (Breakthrough Cancer Research) and funded by MSD Oncology Policy Grant program.
While COVID-19 continues to challenge us all it represents a significant threat to cancer patients and survivors, owing to their weakened immune systems. Researchers from the Department of Economics, Cork University Business School at University College Cork, in collaboration with Breakthrough Cancer Research, have been investigating these impacts of COVID-19 amongst cancer patients and survivors from an economic and social perspective.
The research examines published studies to investigate the side effects arising from COVID-19 and the associated restrictions amongst cancer patients and survivors', from a social and economic perspective. It is anticipated the study results will reveal how care for cancer patients and survivors are affected by the pandemic and generate innovation in how cancer care is delivered.
The virtual seminar provides an opportunity for the research team to share and discuss their findings with key stakeholders across the health system (including patients).
The event will be chaired by Mr Matt Cooper (Today FM) and includes invited panellists from policy, clinical and patient groups who will reflect on the results and share their own experiences from an all-Ireland perspective. Panellists include:
• Ms Jacqueline Daly, Director of Services, East Galway Midlands Cancer Support & Board Member European CancerPatient Consortium
• Dr Helen Greally, National Clinical Programme Lead in Psycho-Oncology, Cancer Control Programme
• Prof Ciara Heavin, Business Information Systems, CUBS, UCC
• Prof Deirdre Murray, Director, National Cancer Registry
• Prof Ciaran O'Neill, Health Economist, Queens University Belfast
• Ms Michelle O’Neill, Programme Manager, HIQA
• Prof Seamus O'Reilly, Vice Clinical Lead Cancer Trials Ireland & Cork University Hospital