IFISC offers a new PhD position, funded by the European Research Council through the ERC Starting Grant ARCTIC, on large-scale data processing in air transport.
IFISC’s strategic objective is the study, exploration and development of information processing in and by complex systems. This comprises connecting existing approaches in different fields, developing common frameworks and the synthesis of novel information processing concepts. Within this context, ARCTIC proposes the study of air transport as an information processing systems, in which information, for instance representing delays, is received, processed and redistributed by the different elements of the system. This requires the development of ad-hoc software solutions, to process large volumes of historical data and integrate them in models and simulations; and the application of techniques coming from computer science, statistical physics and neuroscience.
Your tasks will be:
- Develop software libraries for managing large-scale air transport data sets, including the trajectories of millions of flights, and data volumes of GB per day.
- Develop models able to describe, in a simplified way, the information processing taking place in the real system.
- Use these libraries and models to study abnormal system behaviours, both endogenous and exogenous.
- Contribute to the definition of new ideas, metrics, and analyses.
- Presenting results in meetings and through manuscripts.
What we offer:
- 3 years full time contract, gross salary of approx. 18.000 €/year, plus mobility funds for research stays.
- Enrollment in the Universitat de les Illes Balears’ PhD program.
- Multidisciplinary, international and inspiring environment.
- The contract includes all the benefits of the Spanish public health and social security system.
- Experience in Python and standard libraries, especially in the development of models and in the management of large volumes of data.
- Experience in advanced data analysis, e.g. based on information theory’s or statistical physics’ techniques.
- Ability for analytical and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Knowledge of air transport and / or neuroscience, albeit not essential, will positively be evaluated.
- Master of science or equivalent academic degree. Note that the candidate must be able to enrol in a Spanish PhD program.
- English language fluency.
Application submissions should be made by sending an email to [log in para visualizar], with “PhD position” as subject, and including:
- Letter of motivation
- Updated CV with full academic record
- Copy of previously-published scientific papers.
The position will remain open until filled.
Further inquiries about the position are welcome and should be addressed to the same email address.
IFISC is an equal opportunity institution. Applications to this position by female or minority group scientists are particularly encouraged.