|Infoling en Facebook||Infoling en Twitter|
View with English headings and Google-translated Description
The Institute of Romance Studies
at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at the University of Cologne is
looking to fill one PhD position (50 %) in Romance linguistics at the
Chair of Prof Adli.
Commencement of employment is scheduled for 01th of April 2018. The PhD position offered is part-time with weekly working time of 19,92 hours.
It is a fixed-term work contract ending after 2 years with the possibility of another two-year extension. If pay scale requirements are met, the position will be remunerated in accordance with pay grade 13 TV-L.
The research profile of the chair and the Sociolinguistic Lab includes the investigation of variation through combining theoretical and empirical studies. Relevant structural phenomena from formal key areas are studied via empirical data and quantitative methods, and useful empirical methods (e.g. corpus linguistics, annotation structure, data collection and analysis) are refined.
Areas of responsibility
- The PhD should conduct independent research, within the field of the team's research profile to foster collaborations, and should be aiming to publish; at least one Romance language has to be the object of study.
- Teaching one class per semester in modern linguistics on the bachelor level (2 SWS = 90 minutes) with Romance languages as the main focus (including either French or Spanish) and covering formal key areas (syntax, phonology, morphology, semantics etc.).
- Independent collaboration in and conception of projects as well as participation in the day-to-day business of the chair and Sociolinguistic Lab including grant proposals, exams, workshop organization, literature review etc.
- M.A. in linguistics or philology with emphasis in linguistics,
- rounded training in formal linguistics,
- proficient and documented language skills in at least one Romance language and expertise of linguistic phenomena in more than one Romance language,
- good communication skills & works well in a team to coordinate day-to-day-business in collaboration with the head of the chair,
- knowledge of language variation and change as well as of empirical methods is a plus,
- on-site presence at the University of Cologne upon recruitment.
The University of Cologne welcomes diversity, is an equal opportunity employer and supports positive action in cases of candidates with equivalent qualifications. Applications by women and persons with disabilities and persons with migrational backround are strongly encouraged.
Applications should include a statement of interest (letter of motivation, academic CV, 2-page proposal of a PhD/research project, master thesis in pdf-format (and if available: a list of publications/given talks), copies of the relevant degrees/certificates, the names and addresses of two referees.
Applications should be sent in a single PDF file to the application email with the subject "PhDLinguistics": [log in to unmask]
If you should have questions regarding the position please contact: Professor Aria Adli ([log in to unmask])