|Infoling en Facebook||Infoling en Twitter|
View with English headings and Google-translated Description
The Institute of Romance
Studies at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at the University of
Cologne is looking to fill a position as Postdoc in the Collaborative
Research Centre: SFB 1252 "Prominence in Language".
The project C01 "Prominence and information structure" (PI: Prof Dr Aria Adli) studies the relation between prominence and information structure, in particular: 1) the role of prominent syntactic positions in non-canonical word order, 2) the competition between various prominent topic candidates in canonical word order.
Commencement of employment is scheduled for 15th of April 2018. The postdoc position offered is fulltime with weekly working time of 39,83 hours (100%) and is a fixed-term work contract ending on 31st of December 2020.
If pay scale requirements are met, the position will be remunerated in accordance with pay grade 13 TV-L.
Area of responsibility
- coordinate project work, advise other project members (PhD and student annotators) and support the PI in project-related day-to-day business;
- investigate non-canonical word order phenomena (sentence periphery, postverbal subjects, clefts) using corpus-based, cross-linguistic methods and statistical inference; publication of results;
- develop a theoretical model of the interaction of syntactic prominence and information structure (e.g., rule-based vs. probabilistic);
- refine the annotation structure in the multilingual corpus of spontaneous speech sgscorpus.com (incl. information structure, definiteness/specificity) and supervise student annotators.
- PhD in Linguistics;
- flawless command of spoken and written English, high proficiency in French or Spanish as well as sufficient structural knowledge to perform corpus-based work in one of the other languages examined in the project (i.e., French, Spanish, Catalan, Persian);
- knowledge of German; candidates without prior knowledge must be willing to gain a good command of the language within the first six months;
- international research experience in the field of syntax and information structure, as documented via publications;
- sound knowledge of corpus linguistics and quantitative analysis of corpus data;
- full-time presence in Cologne upon recruitment.
The University of Cologne welcomes diversity, is an equal opportunity employer and supports positive action in cases of candidates with equivalent qualifications. Applications by women, persons with migrational backround and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Applications should include a statement of interest (letter of motivation, addressed to Professor Aria Adli), a CV including a list of publications, a copy of the most important publications (max. 5), a copy of the relevant degrees/certificates, the names and addresses of two referees.
Applications should be sent to the application email: [log in to unmask] in a single PDF file with the subject "Postdoc C01". The application deadline is 5th of February 2018.
If you should have questions regarding the position please contact: Professor Aria Adli ([log in to unmask])