-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[powders-and-grains] Granular Matter Webinar Series Announcement
Date: 	Fri, 6 May 2022 16:14:48 +0000
From: 	Jack Manzi <[log in para visualizar]>
To: 	[log in para visualizar]
<[log in para visualizar]>

Dear Powders and Grains Community,

Hello all, I hope you are well.

On behalf of the Editors-in-Chief Hans Herrmann, Stefan Luding, and
Heinrich Jaeger, I would like to announce a webinar presented by the
journal /Granular Matter/, on Friday, 27 May 2022. Our speaker is Prof.
Glenn McDowell (University of Nottingham), the topic and abstract are:

*“What is the Normal Compression of Soil?”*

It has long been widely accepted that the normal (plastic) compression
of sand and clay are very similar: a linear relationship exists beyond
some sort of yield point when voids ratio is plotted against the
logarithm of applied stress – at least over one log cycle of stress.
However the reason for this similarity in behaviour has not been
exposed.  We present some early thoughts for sand on the evolution of a
fractal distribution of particle sizes as stress increases and particles
break.  Only recently have we been able to explain the normal
compression line more clearly and to propose a new linear relationship
in log voids ratio – log stress space.  The approach recognises the role
of the smallest grains, getting smaller and statistically stronger as a
grading with a fractal number of 2.5 emerges.  However many questions
have remained unanswered: why should the fractal number be 2.5, what are
the smallest particles (how small is small?) and what about the rest of
critical state soil mechanics (peak strength, dilatancy, state boundary
surface and so on)?  And the important question as to why clay should
behave macroscopically in the same way has remained unanswered.  In this
talk, using DEM we explain the micro mechanics of normal compression of
sand, and propose a space-filling argument for why the fractal number
should be 2.5.  In addition we explain what we mean by the "smallest"
particles (because newly formed dust doesn’t contribute to mechanical
behaviour). We then introduce a simple attraction/repulsion model for
clay platelets and show that a fractal distribution of macro particles
evolves as stress increases in order to fill the void space.   We
believe this is the first time a unifying picture of soil appears to be
emerging.

For more information, this is the landing page:
https://www.springer.com/journal/10035/updates/18300828

And this is the link to the registration page:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8640125521658905869

Registration is free, anyone can register, and there is no limit on how
many people can attend.

Feel free to distribute these links among your networks to help
advertise a colleague’s presentation. Thank you, and I hope to see you
at the webinar!

Best,

Jack

---

Jack Manzi

/(he/him/his)/

Assistant Editor, Physics, Astronomy, and Materials Science

*Springer*, a part of *Springer**Nature*

---

1 New York Plaza, 47^th Floor | New York, NY 10004 | USA

tel +1 212-815-0249

[log in para visualizar] <mailto:[log in para visualizar]>

www.springer.com <http://www.springer.com/>

--
Vicente Garzó,
Departamento de Fisica