-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [powders-and-grains] Granular Matter Webinar Series Announcement
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2022 16:15:54 +0000
From: Jack Manzi <[log in para visualizar]>
To: [log in para visualizar] <[log in para visualizar]>

Dear Powders and Grains Community,

Hello all, I hope you are well.

On behalf of the Editors-in-Chief Hans Herrmann, Stefan Luding, and Heinrich Jaeger, I would like to announce a webinar presented by the journal Granular Matter, on Monday, 20 June 2022. Our speaker is Prof. Antoinette Tordesillas (University of Melbourne). The topic and abstract are as follows:

“Discovering gedy's of precursory failure in motion data”

Advancing the basic science of granular failure is challenging, but so is translating these advances from the lab to the field.  In Yoda's words, "Difficult to see; always in motion is the future." Could motion be the key?  After all, what is measured in the field is motion (or deformation), not stress. Here we share lessons learned from data-driven characterization and modelling of failure across space and time scales from motion data.  Attention will be paid to the common intrinsic structure of such data - across different spatial scales - be it formed by individual grain movements in a lab test or by ground motion in the field.  We coined this generic dynamics "gedy’s". With the support of partners (e.g., industry and International Consortium on Landslides), we briefly discuss examples of gedy's in some catastrophic landslides and how they can be exploited in applications of AI in practical landslide risk assessment and decision-making.

For more information, this is the landing page: https://www.springer.com/journal/10035/updates/18300828

And this is the link to the registration page: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4041651235572896272

Registration is free, anyone can register, and there is no limit on how many people can attend.

Feel free to distribute these links among your networks to help advertise a colleague’s presentation. Thank you, and we hope to see you at the webinar!

Best,

Jack

---

Jack Manzi

(he/him/his)

Assistant Editor, Physics, Astronomy, and Materials Science

Springer, a part of Springer Nature

---

1 New York Plaza, 47th Floor | New York, NY 10004 | USA

tel +1 212-815-0249

[log in para visualizar]

www.springer.com

--